Spicy Gingered Chicken with Pineapple
15 ml/1 tbsp water
4 chicken portions
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery stick, chopped
2 tbsp wholemeal or plain flour
¼ pint of chicken stock
½ pineapple, cut into cubes or 1 large can (save the fruit juice)
1 small carton of pineapple juice
2 tsp grated root ginger
2 tsp chilli sauce (I use sriracha)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pan.
2. Add the chicken to the pan and brown.
3. Transfer to a slow cooker or a casserole dish.
4. Add onions and celery to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the flour and gradually add in the stock (if putting into an oven, use less liquid).
6. Add pineapple and half pineapple juice.
7. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously and pour over the chicken.
8. Place into the slow cooker on low for 5 – 8 hours
9. OR put into an oven on 160c fan/180c for 30 – 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
You can have this with rice, wholemeal pitta, chips or a baked potato.